Saturday, July 30, 2011

Blondes on the move

Tom moved the blondes last week while I was at work and got some pics for me. They have settled in well and were enjoying the sunshine this morning.
 

 


Grace departed the company of the hens today, and I don't think the girls even noticed. I was happy to be outside and not have to watch my back. We had a roast chicken (from the local shops) for lunch to celebrate.

Tonight I had a very different experience from what would have constituted a Saturday night in Melbourne. I played midwife to a ewe with pregnancy toxemia. The ewe was not going to live past the next 24 hours and after my persuading, Tom decided to try and give the ewe a c-section by torch light to see if the twins were alive. Unfortunately one of the twins was well gone (hence how sick the ewe was) and the other wasn't alive either. I'm sad that we didn't have any success, however I guess that's "life on the farm".

3 comments:

  1. A very unusual way to spend Saturday evening! Toxaemia and prolapse are quite a problem this year in the district. xJ [SO pleased the psychopath Rooster has been dispatched!]

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Nique

    All looking very good - a real credit to you and Tom (and Bruce too) - here's to a bunch of healthy trees

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good to be on the farm without my Grace repellent (the two by four!) Looking forward to seeing Willy in the paddock. Now all you need is Snowy lamb!!
    Hope the trees enjoy a good soaking! MX

    ReplyDelete